SFAS presents select animals for adoption on the 2nd and 3rd Saturdays of each month.
2nd Saturday of each month
Mandeville Trailhead – Depot Building
Corner of Lafitte & Woodrow Streets, Mandeville, Louisiana
9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
3rd Saturday of each month
SFAS Thrift Store
813 Florida Street, Mandeville, Louisiana
11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Qualifying for Adoption
St. Francis Animal Sanctuary is looking for responsible and caring people to give one of our rescued animals their much needed second chance at happiness. SFAS expects all of our animals to become a integral part of their new family. The following are our basic guidelines you should consider before deciding to adopt:
- Be 21 years of age and have a valid ID with a current verifiable permanent address (younger adults may be considered in some circumstances on a case-by-case basis).
- Live in stable, consistent housingHave a verifiable phone numberEnsure that all adults living in the household have consented to the adoption and are willing to participate in the care of the pet.
- Ensure that all children are mature enough to manage their behavior in the home and interact appropriately with the pet
- Bring all family members to meet the pet before the adoption.
- If a renter, show copy of lease or other proof from landlord that the pet is allowed.
- Have the financial ability now and in the foreseeable future to properly care for the pet, including but not limited to routine and unexpected or emergency veterinary care, good quality food, necessary supplies, pet sitters, and pet deposits/pet rent if living in rental housing. If adopting a dog, agree to properly train the dog, and have the financial ability and willingness to engage the services of training professionals and/or behavioral specialists if warranted.
- Provide proper and sufficient veterinary care, food, water, exercise, training and kind treatment.
- Provide the pet a safe and pleasant environment with love and attention, and not to leave the pet alone or long hours without another animal or human for companionship.
- Adopt the pet as a permanent lifetime family member, and be willing to make concessions in the future to accommodate and keep your pet as your lifestyle may change.
- Fill out the Adoption Application and participate in a phone and/or in-person interview.
- Be willing to provide personal and veterinary (if applicable) references upon request.
- Understand that the application must be processed and approved (which on average takes 2-3 days, but can sometimes be longer)
- Sign a legally binding Adoption Agreement and pay the Adoption Fee.
Think you’re ready? Check our Adoption Listing page to find your next Best Friend!